- Causes hydrocephalus
- treatment of hydrocephalus
Internal hydrocephalus (hydrocephalus) - heavy brain disease characterized by excessive accumulation of cerebrospinal (CSF) fluid (CSF) within the ventricular system (in the brain ventricles).The disease can be not only innate, but acquired.
Internal hydrocephalus brain begins to develop due to improper development of the CSF (cerebrospinal, cerebrospinal fluid), when it is in excess or in deficiency, and if the liquor poorly absorbed in the tissue.Problems with liquor can be triggered by many external and internal factors.
main causes of congenital hydrocephalus may be internal:
- infectious disease transferred by the mother during pregnancy (cytomegalovirus);
- reception pregnant some potent medicinal drugs;
- child in the womb may have had meningitis or move a brain hemorrhage;
- fetal pathology (abnormal structure of the brain).
In these cases, there is atrophy of the brain, it becomes less than t
Causes of acquired hydrocephalus may include the following factors:
- heavy infection (meningitis, meningoencephalitis, etc.);
- parasitic diseases;
- blood clots in the veins of the brain;
- stroke subarachnoid brain regions;
- head injury;
- tumor, cyst or adhesion of the brain;
- abnormal bony changes in the skull.
Suffice it to one of the given reasons to develop the CSF has been broken, which inevitably leads to the development of internal hydrocephalus brain.
internal hydrocephalus Symptoms will depend on the form of the disease and the causes of it.Congenital disease may be visible to the naked eye immediately at birth, and can manifest itself a few months later.
Symptoms of congenital hydrocephalus may be:
I. EXTERNAL :
- disproportionate size of the cranium (spherical shape);
- tension and bulging fontanelle;
- head incontinence, permanent drawing back of her back;
- eyeballs shifted downwards;
- as the bones of the skull fuse properly on the head in infants formed pulsating rounded protrusion;
- nystagmus (uncontrolled eye movement);
- effect marble skin.
II. INTERNAL :
- increased intracranial pressure;
III. Mental :
- inhibition reactions;
- poor appetite.
If hydrocephalus is in the nature of acquired disease, it is characterized by symptoms of the disease, which is caused.
main symptoms of acquired hydrocephalus assumed :
- increased intracranial pressure;
- vomiting and nausea;
- reflex disorders;
- severe headache;
- weakening of intelligence up to dementia;
- visual and hearing impairment;
- when running heavier and forms there is urinary incontinence, impaired coordination.
Symptoms internal hydrocephalus brain is too diverse and individual, so that the true diagnosis can only be made by a qualified physician.to the content ↑
Treatment of Hydrocephalus Treatment
internal hydrocephalus brain involves different techniques at different stages of the disease.
- Conservative. Main line of conservative treatment of internal hydrocephalus - lowering the intracranial pressure and the elimination of the inflammatory focus.To do this, prescribe antibiotics.This treatment is carried out only in the early stages of the disease, but it does not eliminate its root cause, but merely slows down the disease.Most often, the disease becomes severe form, progressing, and you have to resort to other, already operational treatments.
- Bypass. Bypass - operational treatment of hydrocephalus, when the brain of the patient introduce shunt.quite effective method, but causes 60% of complications, when the shunt must be replaced.Throughout the life of the patient require more than one such operation, and his whole life will depend on the valuable work of embedded in the brain shunt.Complications of bypass surgery may be infection, breaks the veins, bruising, and even epilepsy.
- outer drainage. desperate and most dangerous method of treatment of internal hydrocephalus, where cerebrospinal fluid is pumped out of the ventricles outside.External drainage can lead to infection and other serious complications, the consequences of which would be very difficult to get rid of.
- Endoscopic. Endoscopic treatment of internal brain Hydrocephalus is currently the most effective method.For the outflow of cerebrospinal fluid from the ventricles are special ways.When the liquid passes through them, its absorption occurs in the tissue that is correct.There are several types of endoscopy, commonly used currently for the treatment of hydrocephalus: ventrikulotsisternostomiya third ventricle bottom akveduktoplastika, septostomy, install shunts.The advantage of the endoscopic method: does not require the introduction of a foreign object in the body, which can simply not accept.Penetration of infection while also excluded.Minimal invasiveness and cost-effective operation of funds spent on doing endoscopy most popular treatment for this disease.When successful operation the patient fully recovers and returns to his normal life.
internal brain hydrocephalus - a serious neurological disease, is very difficult to treat, so pregnant women should take timely screening ultrasound to identify the disease even in the womb.To avoid congenital forms of the disease the child, the pregnant woman should protect herself against infection and any medical treatment.